Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Goofy Challenge training update

So I made it through the first week of training and felt good. I spent the weekend at my wife’s family cabin in Northern Minnesota and ran three of the four days we were there. My brother-in-law joined me for two of the training runs. He runs faster than I do (not so much that I burn out or anything like that), so I get a good workout when we run together.

This was the first time that I ran four days in a row and I thought I would be either really tired or really sore. I’m neither, interestingly enough. I actually felt pretty good, so maybe this base training idea is a good thing for me to do. Because I’m running both the half-marathon and the full marathon, I don’t expect to set a PR for either race, but I would like to try to finish in around the same times that I have finished previous races. That would mean doing the half in around 2:15 and the full in around 5:15. What I’d really like to do is finish the half right around 2:00, preferably a little quicker, and finish the full just under 5 hours. Yes, I’d be tired Sunday and Monday, but I’d probably recover quicker (barring injury, of course) by doing this base training program. We’ll see how this progresses.

No comments: